How to Recover from a Vasectomy Reversal
You've decided that a vasectomy reversal is right for you, Dr. Bastuba has expertly performed the procedure, and now you're ready to relax and recover – what happens next? Patients who undergo a vasectomy reversal actually follow post-procedure guidelines that are similar to those they received after their original vasectomy, though the expectations of a successful outcome obviously differ. The team behind Male Fertility Specialists decided to further highlight what patients can expect in the days and weeks following a vasectomy reversal in order to help put minds at ease.
A vasectomy reversal is a more complicated procedure than a vasectomy, and it deserves a skilled, experienced surgeon in order to help ensure success. Dr. Bastuba has performed over 3,000 vasectomy reversals with a 98% success rate. Patients of Dr. Bastuba can have confidence that their vasectomy reversal is being performed by a renowned board-certified surgeon and that because of this, their recovery should be straightforward.
We've put together a list of tips for patients to follow after having a vasectomy reversal procedure:
- We recommend that patients abstain from having sex for three weeks after vasectomy reversal.
- Patients can usually resume their normal daily routine (work, etc.) a few days following the procedure, although we do ask that patients “take it easy” and rest when possible.
- Some swelling and bruising can be expected – this can be treated with pain medications.
- Patients should not use tobacco products in the days following the vasectomy reversal.
- Patients should avoid heat in/on the genital area during the recovery period. This includes hot tubes, hot baths/showers, laptops and other technological devices.
- Talk to your doctor about resuming your exercise routine, especially if the routine involves any type of potential pressure on the genital area.
- If you are using pain medication to relieve any discomfort you are feeling, you'll need to have a plan for someone to drive you anywhere you'll need to go during this time.
- We recommend that patients wear supportive clothing such as athletic support after the procedure.
We ask that those recovering from a vasectomy reversal follow all instructions and guidelines presented by the Male Fertility Specialists staff on the day of your procedure.
In regards to the timeframe for getting pregnant after a vasectomy reversal, it can take as little as a few weeks to several months for your sperm to return to the semen, and have a healthy sperm count.